020 7566 2087
Area(s) of specialism / subspecialism:
Year of first medical qualification:
Location of initial medical training:
St Thomas’s Hospital Medical School, University of London
Further key experience:
- Principal investigator of the UK glaucoma treatment study, a landmark trial in glaucoma management and the first trial in glaucoma to be published in The Lancet.
- Inventor of the anatomical map (known as the ‘Garway-Heath map’) used worldwide in research in structure-function relationship in glaucoma, and incorporated into clinical diagnostic tool.
- Inventor of the Moorfields regression Analysis algorithm for one of the earliest imaging diagnostic devices contributing to the worldwide use of imaging in the clinic.
- Theme leader for vision assessment and imaging at the National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Centre at Moorfields Eye Hospital and UCL Institute of Ophthalmology.
- Participates in long-term strategic planning for research at Moorfields Eye Hospital and the Institute of Ophthalmology.
- Workstream Lead for the combined new building for Moorfields Eye Hospital and Institute of Ophthalmology.
- Funding for research of more than £7 million over the last 5 years.
- Author of over 200 scientific research papers.
Date joined Moorfields:
Membership of professional /national/regional bodies:
- President of the European glaucoma society
- Vice president of the international Imaging and Perimetry Society
- Chair of the membership Committee of the international Glaucoma Research Society
- Co-Chair, consensus committee, World Glaucoma Association (2016, 2011, 2007)
- Secretary to the Imaging Morphometry Association for Glaucoma in Europe
- Fellow of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (Chair, Glaucoma Program Committee 2008–9)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member of the American Ophthalmological Society
- Member of the UK and Eire Glaucoma Society (Chair 2010)
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (Achievement Award 2006)
Current NHS/university posts, whether full/part time, and starting year:
- International glaucoma association professor of Ophthalmology for Glaucoma and Allied Studies, University College London
- Honorary consultant ophthalmic surgeon, Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Theme leader for research in vision assessment and imaging, National Institute for Health Biomedical Research Centre
- Honorary visiting professor, clinical visual sciences, City University London
Other professional achievements:
- American Glaucoma Society International Scholar Award for “lifetime contributions to glaucoma research, education, and patient care” (2020)
- National Health Service Clinical Excellence Award (Gold; 2019)
- Gold Medal of Merit for “contribution to Glaucoma”, Greek Glaucoma Society (2018)
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Gold Fellowship (2017)
- Reappointed Senior Investigator of the National Institute for Health Research (2015)
- Alcon Research Institute Award for “outstanding contributors to ophthalmic research” (2014)
- World glaucoma association research recognition award, senior clinician scientist (2011)
- Overall winner Medical Research Council Translational Research Innovation Award (2008)
- Consecutively cited as one of the 100 most influential people in ophthalmology worldwide in The Ophthalmologist magazine’s power list
- Voted as ‘top mentor’ worldwide in The Ophthalmologist magazine’s power list (2019)
- Keynote speaker and visiting professor over 30 times worldwide
- Supervisor to over 30 doctoral students and post-doctoral research fellows; mentor to over 25 research fellows from Europe, Asia and Latin America
- Chair and organiser of over 20 education programmes to ophthalmologists and optometrists, and over 30 courses and 20 symposia at national and international scientific meetings
Key research: development and evaluation of techniques for effective diagnosis, monitoring and management of glaucoma; identification of risk factors for glaucoma progression; and decision-support systems for healthcare delivery services. Listen to David's interview with the American Glaucoma Association.