Accessing your health records

To see a copy of your health record, or for further information about our records system, please contact our subject access request team using the information written below.

Access your health records

To access your health records:

If at any point you believe the information we process on you is factually incorrect you can request to see this information and even have it corrected or deleted.  However, rather than delete information in your health record, we are usually obliged to cross it out and add the correct information with a note on to the record.

If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact our Data Protection Officer who will investigate and respond to your concerns.

How long we keep your information for?

We are required under UK legislation to keep your information for the full retention periods as specified by the NHS Records Management Code of Practice for Health and Social Care.

More information on records retention can be found online at

Your rights

Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection legislation in relation to your personal information. These rights include:

  • Requesting access to your personal information. – You are able to apply for a copy of personal information held about you free of charge. This process is called a subject access request
  • Requesting correction of your personal information – This would apply if factual information held such as name, address or health information was incorrect. In this instance we usually be obliged to cross it out and add the correct information with a note on to the record.  We would consider any requests regarding any professional opinions that may be in your records; however, we are not legally obliged to change them, but may enter a note on your comments.,
  • Requesting erasure of your personal information – The right may apply if the information was no longer needed for your healthcare or it had been kept for longer than set out in the NHS Records Management Code of Practice, unless there is an overriding legal obligation for us to keep it.
  • Objecting to processing of your personal information – You can object to us processing your information if there was no overriding legal reason for us to do so.
  • Requesting restriction of processing your personal information – You can request to restrict processing of some of the information held about you in certain circumstances, such as instances where you believe it would cause you distress. Where this is the case we will discuss with you how the restriction this may have an impact your ongoing care .
  • Requesting transfer of your personal information – This right would generally not apply for health related information as this information would be shared as part of ongoing direct care with another provider
  • Right to withdraw consent – You can opt-out of activities where the basis of us using your information is consent such as marketing or research,

If you wish to exercise your rights in relation to the above please contact the Trust’s Data Protection Officer, contact details are provided below.

Moorfields’ Data Protection Officer contact details

The trust has a Data Protection Officer, who is a dedicated individual responsible for data protection who can be contacted as follows:

Data Protection Officer
Information Governance Department
Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
162 City Road

Tel: 020 7253 3411


If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data not in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) as follows:-

  • In writing:  Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Cheshire SK9 5AF
  • By telephone: 08456 30 60 60
  • Online:

Last updated: 25th May 2022