Accessing health services

There are a number of ways for overseas visitors to access health services in the United Kingdom.

Please read the following page on the Government's website for more about the rules and exemptions, and whether you need to pay for NHS treatment. Information for those visiting or moving to England

EU and EEA (European Economic Area) visitors

European visitors must show their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) otherwise they may have to pay for NHS treatment.

The UK can claim reimbursement for the cost of providing healthcare to visitors from other European Economic Area (EEA) states or Switzerland under the EU Regulations. This entitlement under the EU Regulations will normally be established by production of the relevant EEA healthcare document (EHIC, PRC, S2 or S1), which confirms that the holder is covered for their health costs by the country of issue.

Non EEA patients

You may be asked to confirm you have Indefinite Leave to Remain as your residence permit to live in the UK or have another kind of settled visa (more than six months in length) and have paid the health surcharge to the Home Office. Find out more on the website.

If you are in the UK with a visit visa, while you are here lawfully, you will not be considered a settled UK resident and will be required to pay.

Resident in a non-EEA country that has a bilateral health agreement with the UK

If you are usually resident in: Anguilla, Australia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, British Virgin Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Jersey, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Montserrat, New Zealand, Serbia, St Helena, Turks and Caicos Islands, then you may not have to pay for all of your care. We will ask you to confirm residence in the overseas country or that you are a national of the country – the overseas visitor manager will advise what evidence you need to provide and what care is covered.

Last updated: 2nd May 2019